Monday, August 17, 2009

Planes, Trains & Automobiles

For the third time in the past three weeks I am nearing my destination thanks to a wide variety of transports. I think the only method I didn’t use was a boat.

This particular arrival isn’t especially different from the others technically. Although it is the end of my travels and I have a much better idea what I am doing than the last few times.

I’m also pretty excited to get to my apartment, meet my new roommates and settle in a bit. The past few days I have been really tired and unable to figure out why. I’ve been eating well (maybe a little too well), sleeping enough, taking time to hang out. Sure, being around new languages and cultures is tiring, as is physically moving oneself and one’s belongings across large regions of Earth. But I have been more tired than that. It finally dawned on me that I have been wandering around for more than a month. Although the first week and a half was in the states, it still definitely counts as both travel and adventure. Cumulatively, I am allowed to be tired.

So here I am, on my way to Zurich and then St Gallen. My new roommate is picking me up at the station (if we can find each other without cell phones) and I will finally set down all this stuff. I didn’t bring much for this auxiliary trip but I did pick up a few necessities in Amsterdam…all of my bags are bursting at the seams. I am not sure if I will have a bed, but I sure will be using the washing machine and kitchen immediately. Wouldn’t mind a shower without wearing flip flops too.

I’m still thinking I will travel a bit next week, maybe to the east to buy some stuff for my room. I will ask around and see what everyone says is the place to shop. In the meantime, I will be catching up on mail, phone calls, finally getting a cell phone, bank account and train pass. Moving in!

1 comment:

  1. I imagine you'll know what a grandma will say before I say it, but here goes anyway. How about taking some time to just be at your new apt. and chill for a while? Getting really tired is a good way to be less healthy than you will want to be for the school semester ahead. Take care of yourself, cherished one!!

    ReplyDelete